Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to rent a car?
Each person who intends to drive must bring a valid driver's license to drive in Rwanda, passport, and a valid means of payment all of these items must be submitted on the day the car will be picked up. Kindly pay with an affiliated credit card. If you wish to pay in cash, you must also submit an item of identification (copies are acceptable) in addition to your driver’s license.
What type of driver's license do I need to drive in Rwanda?
You will need a valid International Driving Permit issued by a competent
government institution that conforms to the format specified by the Geneva
Convention on Road Traffic 1949.
Can anyone besides the reservation applicant drive the car?
Yes; however, each person who intends to drive the car must submit a valid driver’s license on the day the car will be picked up. If it is not possible for all drivers to be present on the day of pick-up, a copy of their driver’s license (both sides) and passport must be prepared in advance and submitted.
Can beginner drivers (driving with a driver’s license issued less than one year ago) also rent a car?
Yes. No restrictions are placed on the date of issuance of the driver’s license. We
have a large-scale compensation system that beginner drivers can use to rent a
vehicle without worries. People with little confidence in their driving skills are also welcome to use our services.
Can elderly people also rent cars?
Yes. No age restrictions are in place. Anybody with a valid driver’s license can
rent a vehicle.
Will there be a problem if the person who made the reservation is different from the one who will drive the car?
No. Persons who will not drive the car can also make the reservation; however,
they need to confirm first the driver of the vehicle before making the reservation.
How many days in advance can a reservation be made?
Vehicles can be reserved three months-one days in advance. Reservations can
also be made 30 minutes* prior to pick-up if a vehicle is required at the last
Can I rent a car without a reservation?
Yes, as long as a vehicle is available in the station; however, we recommend
making a reservation because no vehicle may be available during busy periods.
Can I cancel my reservation?
Yes, reservations can be canceled. Please contact us as soon as possible if
you wish to cancel your reservation. The reservation number issued when you
made the reservation and the email address you registered at the time of
reservation are required to cancel or make changes to your reservation.
Can I make changes to my reservation?
Yes. The reservation number issued when you made the reservation and the
the email address you registered at the time of reservation is required to make
changes to your reservation.
For how many days can I reserve a rental car?
We accept reservations for a rental period of six (6) months at most.
Can I request an AT (automatic) or MT (manual) vehicle?
Yes, The transmission type can be selected. But mostly we provide AT
What should I do if I damage the car?
In the event of accidents resulting in damage to the vehicle during the rental
period, the user shall be required to pay the non-operation charge (NOC) as
partial compensation for the loss of earnings incurred for repairs, regardless of
the degree of damage or the length of time required for repairs.
The non-operation charge (NOC) is different from the deductible (paid by the
user) in the insurance and compensation system, which is applied in the event
of accidents. Please note that this sum is to be paid.
What should I do if I get in an accident?
Move the vehicle to a safe location to prevent further accidents.
– Assist all injured parties.
– Report the accident to the police.
– Get the details of the other party.
– Contact the Global Customer Desk*.
– Do not negotiate a private settlement on the spot. Private settlements will
invalidate the insurance, which will require the user to pay the entire cost.
Are there any restrictions on mileage when using a rental car?
No. There are no mileage restrictions or additional fees.
Can my pet ride in the car?
Yes. if you intend to travel with a pet. Please make sure to mention that you will
be traveling with a pet when making a reservation (vehicle models that can carry pets differ among rental stations, so please mention this in advance).
What are the required procedures for picking up the car?
You will be required to present your driver’s license (of all drivers) and passport for
verification purposes and to sign the Rental Agreement when you pick up the vehicle.
Once completed, please pay the sum determined by the contents of the agreement.
(Payment must be settled when the vehicle is picked up.)
*Does not apply to users who have paid in advance.
A short explanation of the vehicle will be provided, and the vehicle will be checked for
existing scratches or other damages together with the user. The rental car can be used
as soon as the inspection has been completed.
Can I make changes to the reservation when I pick up the car?
Yes. If you wish to change the rental period, please inform a staff member when picking up the car. You will be advised if the change is possible once the reservation details of other users have been checked. Please note that requests to make changes may be refused due to reservations made by other users.
If I forget to bring my driver’s license, can I still rent a car as long as I am registered?
No. You may not rent a car if you do not show a valid driver’s license and
passport at the time of pick-up. Please make sure that you do not forget to bring the necessary documents on the day of pick-up.
Can I arrange for the car to be delivered to my home?
Yes. We offer home delivery service.
Can I arrange for the car to be delivered to a bus station or hotel?
Yes , we deliver cars at any place of your choice.
Can I arrange for the car to be delivered to the airport?
Yes, we can deliver the booked car at the airport.
What do I need to keep in mind when returning the car?
Please make sure that you have not left anything inside the vehicle. We cannot be held responsible for any forgotten items or lost property.
How are rental fees calculated if I extend the rental during the original rental period?
- All additional charges will be calculated in accordance with the daily rate system
- All promotional rates and discounts will be applied when calculating the extension fee.
What should I do if I am unable to return the car with a full tank?
You may return the vehicle to EATTS ltd as it is. Please pay the refueling fee predetermined by the company in accordance with the distance traveled.
How is the rental fee calculated?
The rental fee is determined in accordance with the model of the vehicle and the length of the rental period. If the user has requested any additional options, accessories, compensation package, or other services, the applicable costs will be added to the basic fee accordingly.
Can I pay by credit card?
Credit cards are accepted.
Can I pay in cash?
Cash payment is accepted.
Do the fees vary by region and season?
Rental fees vary in accordance with both the region and the season.
When do I have to pay the rental fees?
Please pay the fees when picking up the vehicle.
What is a tour?
A tour assembles various components of a trip into a single package that can be purchased. It comes in two basic varieties: an independent tour, which normally consists of transportation, lodging, and sometimes meals and activities, and which you can assemble on your own to fit your itinerary, and an organized package tour, which has some or all of the components of an independent tour, but follows an itinerary set by a tour company and is led by an experienced guide.
Should I book an independent package tour?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the following:
- You value flexibility and don’t want to be limited to a seven- or ten-day “experience.”
- You like to explore new places and would prefer to determine where you eat and what you do on vacation.
- You like to keep tabs on how much each component of your vacation costs and who is directly responsible for it.
Should I consider an escorted package tour?
- Yes, if …
- You would like to have everything planned for you, from where you stay, what you see, how you get there. Some meals are included in an escorted tour. (A few of the new tours also have more “flex” time built into them, so they aren’t as rigid as a traditional escorted package.)
- You’re don’t really like exploring a place on your own, and enjoy being around other people.
- You’re concerned about dealing with another language and customs.
What’s so great about a package tour?
- The appeal of a tour is obvious once you understand how it works. But since tours can be a little complicated, even to someone who has written about them for most of his career, the benefits aren’t necessarily self-evident. Why should you consider entrusting your entire vacation to a tour operator?
- It’s affordable. Tour operators buy their rooms, flights and activities and pass the savings along to you (see “a tour by the numbers” for details)
- It’s organized by a pro. Knowing that a vacation was planned by industry professionals is reassuring, especially when you’re traveling overseas.
- You pay upfront. You’ll know exactly how much your vacation will cost, minus tips and incidentals. Note: There’s a downside to this, too. I’ll have more on tour operator bankruptcies in a minute.
- Better access. It’s true, tour groups almost never have to wait in any lines for the museums and the choice attractions. Also, they get into places others can’t and are frequently given VIP treatment on the ground.
Why did my booking not confirm?
Confirmation is typically received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability.
A tour may return unavailable due to a few different reasons.
- The tour date or time requested is no longer available
- Unexpected closures of locations visited or roads used during the tour, etc
We apologize for any inconvenience but sometimes outside influences can force the cancellation of a tour.
Tours rejected by the Tour Operator that you have already purchased will be refunded immediately.
How should I book my tour?
You can buy a package tour through our website, email or phone call of your overall trip tours.
Should I expect a full refund when my tour is canceled?
The advantage of a package is that you get a price break. The disadvantage? Refunds.
When an airline cancels a flight, you can get your money back. When a hotel turns you away, you’re entitled to a refund. The same thing when your cruise is canceled, or your car rental company doesn’t have the vehicle for which you prepaid.
Put it all together into a package, however, and curiously, the rules change. Your tour may not be refundable at all. Don’t believe me? Check your participation agreement and see for yourself.
My tour offers hotel pickup. How can I request that they pick up at my hotel?
Please include your hotel details at the time of booking and the local operator will provide your meeting location and time when you call to reconfirm your booking.
My booking requires hotel name and address however, the trip I’ve chosen doesn’t include a hotel pick-up/drop-off. How can I complete my booking?
- Even if your booking doesn’t include Hotel Pickup and Drop-off, the Tour Operator may ask for your details so they can contact you if anything changes regarding your itinerary. (IE: Weather-related issues, mechanical problems, etc.)
- If you haven’t selected a hotel yet, just indicate ‘TBA’ and when your tour date approaches, you can contact the local tour operates with the information provided to schedule pickup and dropoff times. This is a normal procedure for them.